Sunday 17 June 2012

Hello.. :)





Well'p... here we are :)! Our own little blog... I've always wanted to blog so I'm a bit excited!

I suppose I will start out by explaining who *I* am ;). I'm Karina.. my partner Ben and I (and our little boy Elliott!) own and run a small shop on Payneham Road in Adelaide, South Australia. If you happen to be reading this as a customer you may already know me :). Our shop is called 'Adelaide Dog' and we specialize in preservative free dog food and dog accessories. We are big fans of raw feeding so we sell a lot of different raw meats for dogs, raw meaty bones and also our own special raw mix called 'The Formula'. We sell kibble and some fantastic cooked products too but ONLY Australian made and 100% preservative free brands :). We also sell a huge variety of different dog treats and chews.. but again, ONLY Australian made and 100% preservative free! We are very strict on that when it comes to any food products ;). 


Adelaide Dog has actually been around for a few years now.. up until December last year the shop was owned by an amazing lady called Jo. Jo started the business from scratch all by herself in 2009. She worked very hard and built it up to be an amazing little shop! I started helping Jo out in 2010 while I was on maternity leave from my regular job after she had advertised looking for a bit of help on a dog forum we both frequent. I enjoyed my time in the shop so much that I just kept coming back - it was just such a nice place to be and I loved interacting with the customers and talking about their dogs and mine. Towards the end of 2011 Jo's health issues were making it hard for her to continue her work in the shop.. the customer base was growing and she was finding it hard to cope alone. When she one day asked us if Ben and I would consider buying the business.. we didn't have to think long about our decision to say yes! We took over in December 2011 and under Jo's watchful (and extremely helpful!!) eye we started to run the shop. Neither of us have ever owned a business or worked for ourselves so it was a bit of a learning curve at first but 7 months down the track we're getting the hang of things ;).


We made the decision to expand pretty quickly. There was nothing wrong with the old shop but it was nowhere near big enough for what we wanted to do with it, especially the preparation areas\.. it was seemed to be fate that the large shop with a huge prep area two doors up from us was available. We ummed and ahhed about it for a while and made lots of phonecalls to landlord who owns the entire shopping center we are situated in.. and in the end decided to just go for it! Sometimes you've just got to take the plunge and hope you land facing the right way up ;). It was very hard work moving the shop (even though it was only about a 10 step move!) but we had lots of help from our amazing family and we have been in and trading in the new shop for almost two weeks now :).
We are so excited to be able to bring our awesome customers new products and services in the new shop! It's taking a little longer than I expected to get the new shop how we really want it but we are getting there slowly but surely!

Here are just a few really basic photos of the new shop (I know they're not very good! Sorry :/)

Goodnight :) Give your furbabies a pat from us! xx

New sign writing :) Have you guessed what our new colours are yet?! Lol


From the front door :)



The counter staring Jo's cresties!

No comments:

Post a Comment